Alumni provide students with tools and knowledge to help transition from college to career
World of Work classes at Queens are a fundamental aspect of the university's commitment to ensuring students and graduates are well educated and prepared for careers after college. The classes provide a framework for practical preparation of internships and also facilitate self-assessment, acquisition of presentation skills, writing of resumes and cover letters and interviewing practice.
Every year, the World of Work semester culminates in a final project where groups of 4-5 students are paired with an alumnus or alumna from top Charlotte organizations. This year, those organizations included Wells Fargo, Novant Health, Siemens Energy and Lincoln Times-News. Each group of students interviewed the alumnus/alumna, researched the organization, visited sites and prepared a presentation to the alumni panel. This exercise offered the opportunity for students to meet and network with valuable contacts for future job pursuits.
Four alumni participated in World of Work with sophomores this semester:
- J. Woody Hubbard '13, Novant Health
- Elizabeth Heffner '12, Lincoln Times-News
- Melissa Duller '11, Wells Fargo
- Chris Graham '14, Siemens
All four alumni offered up great practical advice for students. Alumna Elizabeth Heffner reminded students to have an open mind when looking at internship opportunities. A small city doesn't necessarily mean there aren't great opportunities there. Alumnus Woody Hubbbard discussed how a lot of internnships are non-paid, but the long-term benefit could mean a full-time job offer once you prove yourself.
Alumnus Chris Graham focused on networking. "Networking is key," said Graham. "When I was 20-years-old, I used networking skills and inside connections to find an applicable internship. That internship led to the job I have today with Siemens."
- A Celebration of the Generosity of Scholarship Donors
- Queens Announces New Director of Development for the McColl School of Business
- The Dean's Digest - April 2015
- More Than 200 Alumni Representing Six Decades Enjoyed Reunion Weekend
- Queens Announces 2015 Commencement Speakers
- Queens Participates in the Washington Model for the Organization of American States
- Royals Swim Team Featured on WCCB Charlotte
- Schmoozapalooza Offers Networking Opportunities for Students and Alumni
- Queens Hosts Adaptive First Swim Clinic
- Queens Becomes Official Affiliate of Hillel International