Bookmark and Share

Transfer Credit

Once fully admitted to the University as a degree-seeking student, the Office of the Registrar will evaluate the student's official transcript(s). This evaluation will determine the credit hours awarded and their applicability to Queens' degree requirements. Note: grades do not transfer into Queens.   

To be considered for transfer, course work must be completed at a regionally accredited post-secondary institution. Only courses with an earned grade of "C-" or better  will be considered for transfer. Credit from foreign institutions requires an evaluation from WES or ECE. Courses graded Pass/Fail will not transfer, unless documentation is received from the awarding institution stating that a grade of "P" is equal to a C- or better.  

Transfer credit is not awarded for the following: remedial courses, non-academic courses, highly technical courses, vocational courses, physical education courses for team sports, and credit by examination. 

Semester hour credit transfers the same (3 hrs. for 3 hrs.). Courses that were completed on a quarter credit system will be transferred in at a rate of .67 (quarter to semester; ex: 5 quarter credits equals 3.35 semester credits). 

Transfer credit for courses taken more than ten years prior to the student's enrollment will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.  Because the rate of change in some areas of knowledge is so great, relatively outdated course work may no longer provide the necessary background for advanced study. A student may have to repeat some courses at the discretion of the appropriate departments. 

Students may receive up to 90 credit hours of academic credit from all institutions attended; however, no more than 64 credit hours can be transferred from two year institutions. All exam (CLEP, AP, IB, etc.) and military credit will be counted toward the total. 

                                                                              Maximum Number of Transferable Credit:
                                                                               Four-year Institution       90
                                                                               Two-year institution        64*
                                                                               Other                              38** 

*Queens accepts credit under the guidelines of the North Carolina Comprehensive Articulation Agreement.
**Includes non-college credit course work approved by ACE or PONSI, AP exams, CLEP exams, International Baccalaureate exams, and military credit. 

Transfer students must meet all degree requirements in their catalog of entry including the residency requirements. There are no substitutions for QMP 200, the 300-level QLC or QCP 410. All students must complete QMP 200, a 300-level QLC and QCP 410 at Queens to earn a bachelor's degree. There are no transfer equivalencies for these courses. The University's internship requirement is waived for any transfer student receiving 36 or more credits. Some majors, however, require internships as part of the major requirements. 

Students entering Queens with first-time freshman status and having earned 36 or more college-level credits (excludes credits in the "other" category above) will follow the transfer equivalencies for the general education requirements. These students will be required, however, to complete QMP 100 and the University's internship requirement. 

Students Holding an A.A. or A.S. Degree (Effective with transfers entering in fall 2016)
Students with a previously earned A.A. or A.S. degree from a North Carolina Community College will have met the distribution areas of the general education learning communities. These students will be required to complete QMP 200, a 300-level QLC and QCP 410. They may be required to complete any major prerequisites. Students holding an A.A. or A.S. degree from a non-North Carolina Community College will have their course work reviewed on a course-by-course basis. 

Students Holding a B.A. or B.S. Degree
Students with a previously earned B.A. or B.S. degree, either from Queens or from another accredited institution, may obtain a second baccalaureate degree from Queens provided the major is different from that of the original degree. These students are not required to complete the general education curriculum. They may be required, however, to complete any major prerequisites. In addition, students must also meet the residency requirements.

  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
Latest Tweet