Presidential Search Committee Members Named
April 27, 2017
To the Queens Community,
Thank you to the many faculty, staff and students who shared their thoughts and input at the open forums held by our search consultants on April 16. The feedback was rich and meaningful, and we appreciate your interest and involvement. We will host similar sessions in early May with alumni, friends and leaders from Charlotte’s business and civic community.
In addition to gathering your feedback, I am pleased to report we have finalized the membership of the Presidential Search Committee.
Our goal was to form a group of wise, committed people who represent the rich diversity of our community, including trustees, faculty, staff, students and alumni. While each member represents a specific constituent (and sometimes multiple constituents), they must also bring an institutional lens to the work of identifying our next leader.
The committee consists of eight trustees and seven non-trustee members of the Queens community. The members also include three Queens alumni. They are:
- Michael Marsicano, Chair of the Presidential Search Committee
- Michael Tarwater, Chair of the Board of Trustees
- Debbie Bryan ’68, Trustee Emerita
- David Darnell, Trustee Emeritus
- TJ Lewis ’97, Trustee
- Larry Polsky, Trustee
- Caroline Sink, Trustee
- Cynthia Tyson, Trustee Emerita (Trustee Elect)
- John Bennett, Wayland H. Cato, Jr. Chair of Leadership, Associate Professor of Business and Behavioral Science, Director of Graduate Programs, McColl School of Business
- Saundra Penn, Associate Professor of Human Service Studies and Chair of Interprofessional Health Studies, Blair College of Health
- Bob Whalen, Carolyn G. and Sam H. McMahon, Jr. Professor of History, College of Arts and Sciences
- Angie Edwards, Director of the Myrta Pulliam Center for International Education
- Darryl White, Sr. ’92, Assistant Dean of Diversity, Inclusion and Community Engagement
- Kayley Marchena, Senior Class President
- Chad Lewis, President, QU4Troops
Presidential Search Survey
In coming weeks, we will send a confidential survey via email to Queens students, alumni, faculty, staff and friends. Please take a few minutes to provide your feedback about our university’s priorities and the qualities and experiences you would like to see in the next president. Your insights and input will aid us throughout the process.
Over the summer our attention and focus will shift to the development of the presidential prospectus. This important document is part position description and part recruiting tool. It will introduce potential candidates to Queens—where we’ve been and where we’re going—and help them better understand this incredible leadership opportunity.
Information about the search is available on a special website: www.queens.edu/presidentialsearch. Look for periodic updates about the process here. Also, in the event you know an interested candidate, please refer them to the website. We also welcome your nominations!
Looking ahead, Presidential Search Committee Chair Michael Marsicano will continue to provide updates on the search process throughout the coming academic year.
Best to you all as we close another successful academic year!
Chair, Board of Trustees