MFA Creative Writing: Admissions
Apply to the low-residency MFA Creative Writing Program at Queens University in Charlotte.
Application for the Creative Writing MFA Includes:
- Complete Academic History
At least one official transcript will be required. The MFA Admissions office will communicate further instructions after you submit application.
- Personal Statement
One single-spaced page in length, which speaks to what you expect to get out of the program and what you hope to bring to it.
- The Name of One Reference
willing to provide a letter of recommendation
- Writing Sample in each genre in which you are applying.
- Fiction and Nonfiction portfolios should be about 25 double-spaced pages.
- Writing for Stage and Screen portfolios should be 25 formatted pages.
- Poetry portfolios should be 10 single-spaced pages. Please place only one poem per page for poems less than a page long.
- Submit one document per genre, regardless of the number of individual pieces included in the sample for that genre.
- Pages should be numbered, and the applicant's name and the title and genre of the piece should appear in the header or footer of each page.
Submit a $50 application fee. You’ll receive instructions for paying this fee after submitting application.
Summer Entry: March 1
Fall Entry: June 1
Spring Entry: November 1
Learn program costs on the Graduate Tuition page.
We welcome international students. International students are responsible for securing the necessary visas, and you may be asked for other documentation in support of your applications. All international students applying to the MFA program must demonstrate proficiency in English in the work submitted in their application portfolios.
Queens accepts the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). International students are also required by the Immigration and Naturalization Services to submit a confidential certified financial statement indicating the amount of funds available for their education in the United States.
We're happy to help. For information about the program or application process, contact us at 704-337-2499 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We invite you to attend an information session as well.