Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
At Queens, we recognize that human identities and qualities, and the diversity of them within our campus and community, provide us all with an opportunity to learn and grow.
At Queens University of Charlotte, we are committed to fostering a culture that promotes inclusion, diversity, equity and access for students, faculty, staff and the community around us.
Our commitment to living and succeeding in a changing world challenges us to develop cultural humility and to find common ground with those unlike ourselves. We strive to empower students, faculty, staff and alumni to be authentically engaged citizens on campus, off campus and around the world. Our efforts are intended to help bridge the academic and civic missions of the University to live out its motto, "Not to be served, but to serve."
In 2021, President Lugo introduced a strategic framework with a pillar devoted to leading in diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) as a part of a plan to transform Queens into the national comprehensive private university of Charlotte. The plan included the creation of a DEI taskforce, made up of faculty, staff and students, led by Vice President Maria del Carmen Flores and Professor Margaret Commins.
Seven Goals of the DEI Plan
- Attract, recruit, retain, develop, and graduate a diverse student body.
- Attract, recruit, develop and retain faculty and staff with diverse identities and that are committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion at Queens University.
- Create and sustain an inclusive campus that fosters a sense of belonging among all community members.
- Establish and ensure accountability measures to diversity, equity, and inclusion practices throughout the university.
- Identify and establish a sustainable staffing structure and resources to drive change and ensure accountability to DEI work.
- Infuse DEI into the educational experience for all students.
- Implement strategies to create a more accessible campus across multiple domains for students, faculty, and staff.
Equity and Inclusion Mini-Grants
The Office of DEI has created Equity and Inclusion Mini-Grants to help support and enhance the efforts of our Queens community. The Mini-Grant program is designed to offer seed money to boost or strengthen initiatives, projects, or programs that further the goals and objectives of the DEI Plan. Find out more about these mini-grants
For more information on the plan and taskforce, please read our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Strategic Plan.
Diversity at Queens