Skip to Main Content

Inspiring Student Potential: The Hunter-Hamilton Love of Teaching Award

May 09, 2023 By Queens University Communications

Since joining Queens in 2005, Melinda Harper, Ph.D., has demonstrated generosity, humility and compassion in her approach to teaching. This, along with an unyielding commitment to her students, was a driving factor in selecting Harper as the 2023 Hunter-Hamilton Love of Teaching Award recipient. The most notable honor bestowed upon Queens faculty, the award is presented annually at commencement and recognizes dedication and enthusiasm for the profession.

At Queens, Harper serves as professor and chair of psychology in the College of Arts and Sciences. She is also the co-director of the Transition to University program, a peer support program that teaches first-year students a variety of skills necessary to facilitate their adjustment to university life.

Harper is actively involved in research and the application of those findings to improve young adult adjustment. Specifically, her current research focuses on understanding the variables that contribute to a successful transition from high school to college for high school seniors and first-year students. She is also active in the community and supports a number of local charities dedicated to serving the people of Charlotte.

Harper is an enthusiastic and innovative teacher, approaching the classroom and learning with not just knowledge, but passion and happiness. She encourages students to always do their best, no matter what obstacles seem to be on the horizon.

She is a teacher who sees the whole person in her students and her peers. Former students repeatedly commented on her sincere interest and deep care for their lives and well-being both inside and outside of the classroom. “She lights up a room with her joy and enthusiasm,” said one student.

Harper teaches from the heart, is an inspirational role model and remains compassionate, caring and supportive. “I must thank Dr. Harper for who I am today,” wrote one student, “she cultivates my eagerness to learn and encourages me to push myself outside of my comfort zone to be the best self I can be.”