Skip to Main Content

Queens Professor to Make His Mark on the Charlotte Landscape

Jan 13, 2022 By Queens University Communications

Ivan Depeña, assistant professor of art, music, and design at Queens University, walks the walk. And soon, thanks to his work on Charlotte’s Rail Trail pedestrian bridge, Charlotte residents and visitors will walk (or bike) safely between two beloved parts of Charlotte, Uptown and South End. Depeña is the lead designer on the $11.5 million bridge that will span across I-277 to provide a safe, car-free route for cyclists and pedestrians from the Rail Trail to Center City.

For Depeña, helping bring the project from conception to execution over the next two years fulfills a dream that has permeated his career as an artist and architect.

“I’ve been studying art since the age of 12,” he said. “When I chose architecture as a degree, I wanted something to fall back on practically if the art career didn’t work out but I quickly began to fall in love with the discipline.”

His connection to this landmark project began when he became aware of a public request for quotation (RFQ) that called for a team of engineers, civil engineers, architects and other collaborators to propose a plan for the design and construction of the bridge.

“Designing a bridge is a life goal for many architects. This is an endeavor that will be unparalleled,” Depeña said. “When I heard about the RFQ, I reached out to people locally as well as an engineer I was connected to in New York to see if they wanted to join me in this effort which set the groundwork for the team behind the design now.”

The project kicked off in November of 2019. Renderings of the bridge were recently shared during an update meeting in December of 2021 where it was revealed that construction is projected to begin in 2023 and will take an estimated two years to complete.

Bridge rendering
Bridge rendering with lights

Depeña’s portfolio of artistic and architectural design work is a testament to his passion for both art and architecture. Born and raised in Miami, Fla., he ventured to New York City to pursue education in the arts. Later, he received his master’s degree in architecture from Harvard University’s Graduate School of Design.

Outside of teaching at Queens, Depeña maintains a rigorous and experimental, self-directed studio practice. His work has been showcased nationally and internationally through exhibitions at the McColl Center, Praxis NY, New Britain Museum of American Art, the Museum of Contemporary Art, and more. Additionally, his work “Mirror, Mirror” offers an immersive artistic experience in the Bissell Lobby of Queens’ own Sarah Belk Gambrell Center for the Arts and Civic Engagement, the same building where he teaches interior architecture and design, graphic design, as well as general education courses.

“Mirror, Mirror” Art in the Gambrell Center

“When it comes to my inspiration for my designs, I always take cues from the anatomy of nature and have always had an interest in the intersection of science and art,” Depeña explained. “I enjoy sharing educational experiences with my students through visits to local establishments around Charlotte where they can draw insights and inspiration of their own.”

“Studying with Ivan is collaboration. He takes time to get to know us each individually so that he can help guide us to design solutions that not only fulfill the project requirements but highlight each of our unique aesthetic sensibilities,” said Megan Reed, one of Depeña’s architecture students at Queens University. “He pushes us to not simply design a building but to design an entire experience. The Rail Trail bridge is the perfect picture of how to turn architectural work into an immersive artistic experience.”

Learn more about Ivan Depeña’s studio and portfolio.