Skip to Main Content

Marketing Major Discovers Identity, Community, and Calling at Queens

Apr 27, 2023 By Queens University Communications

It was a t-shirt at the bookstore that gave one timid high-school senior the confidence he needed to commit to Queens University of Charlotte. Now, Lance Sotelo ’23, a highly-involved college senior on campus, prepares to address his peers at 2023 Commencement after spending four years discovering his identity, community, and calling at Queens.

“One of the reasons that I decided to come to Queens is because of how much inclusivity is championed here,” Sotelo explained. “When I first visited campus, the bookstore had a shirt out front, proudly on display, with the Rex logo in rainbow. I ended up wearing that shirt for my official signing for the track team. I knew that this was a school for me because I wanted to go somewhere where I knew I could be authentically me.”

Sotelo’s passion for diversity, equity, and inclusion has flourished during his time as a Royal. Outside of his roles as a resident assistant and student body president, he serves on the DEI athletic committee.

Originally from Dalton, Ga., Sotelo described the nerves he felt when deciding to go to college. In high school, he was not very involved and he worried that the fast-paced nature of a university curriculum would set him behind his peers. He determined that Queens would be the best fit for him because of its athletic program, Charlotte location, and smaller classroom size.

“I was lucky to meet some amazing people right after moving to campus that quickly became some of my best friends,” said Sotelo. “They inspired me to open up to others and get involved in the Queens community.”

By the end of his sophomore year, Sotelo felt clarity around the career he hoped to pursue. He explored a slew of programs at Queens, and with the support of faculty and mentors on campus, he decided to become a marketing major.

“At Queens, everyone has to have an internship in order to graduate,” Sotelo said. “Last summer, I was fortunate enough to land an internship at Phase3 Marketing and Communications- a full-service agency, print and production powerhouse, and branded merchandise company. After that internship, I learned that I wanted to do something in event planning and project management.”

The soon-to-be graduate’s journey at Queens is not over yet. After delivering his remarks and graduating at 2023 Commencement, Sotelo plans to earn his MBA from the McColl School of Business and work as a graduate assistant.

“I would never want to be at a school where I am just a number,” Sotelo concluded. “I love being somewhere where I am ‘somebody.’ Somebody that people know, somebody that people say ‘hi’ to across campus, and somebody who is able to have an impact.”