Skip to Main Content

Creating Community for LGBTQ+ Students and Allies

Jun 30, 2023 By Queens University Communications

After graduating from a small high school outside of Memphis, Tennessee, Dean Campbell ’25 headed to the heart of Charlotte to begin the next chapter of their life at Queens University. “Queens was a perfect fit for me,” said Campbell. “I knew I wanted a university with smaller class sizes so that I could work closely with professors who would help guide me on my path to success.” 

Since arriving on campus in the fall of 2021, Campbell has thrived. Academically, Campbell is a proud dean’s list student in the McColl School of Business pursuing a Bachelor of Business Administration in marketing with a minor in entrepreneurship and innovation.  

Socially, Campbell is a vibrant and active member of the Queens community and an advocate for diversity, equity, and inclusion. “When I first arrived at Queens, I knew I wanted to create a special group on campus for LGBTQ+ students,” they said. “As queer people, being able to connect with others who share our experiences and having allies who can learn and grow from us is really important.”  

Campbell reached out to Queens’ Jeffrey Thomas, Ph.D., professor of biology and director of general education, for support in establishing the Queens University Queer Union (QUQU), a community for LGBTQ+ students and allies.  

“Having a student-run organization that consciously and deliberately builds spaces for others on campus is a powerful way to support those who are just beginning to understand their identities,” said Thomas. “It was important for me to support those who were actively creating a safe space for students who often feel the need to remain hidden.” 

In addition to QUQU, Campbell also partnered with Advocates for Youth and acts as a liaison to coordinate access to sexual health education and contraception resources for students on campus. Campbell work closely with departments such as Student Life and Housing.  

In their spare time, Campbell is an active performer in the Charlotte drag community and is known as Venus Wyre. “With drag, I am able to use all of my talents to express myself,” they said. “I use my creativity to design and sew my costumes while my extensive training in dance and theater allows me to choreograph and create a performance that elevates every aspect of who I am.” 

Reflecting on Pride Month, Campbell acknowledges those who have helped them along the way. “The support I have felt from my drag family and friends has been so important,” they said. “As a queer person, there may be times when people don’t accept who I am. It’s a reality that my community has faced time and time again. However, I’ve learned how to grow from those experiences, and this motivates me to succeed in everything I do.” 

Over the summer, Campbell will be interning in the marketing department of the Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority. In August, Campbell will head to Amsterdam as part of Queens’ study abroad program. Although graduation is still some time away, Campbell has grand plans for the future. 

“When I graduate from Queens, I have a lot of goals for myself,” said Campbell. “Personally, I’d love to travel the world. Professionally, I hope to have a successful career in marketing within the cosmetic industry. I’m confident that my time at Queens will help prepare me for the road ahead.”