Skip to Main Content

Sydney Lash ‘24 Excels as a STEM Major Thanks to Unmatched Opportunity at Queens 

Feb 28, 2024 By Queens University Communications

It was at a college fair that the family of High Point, N.C. native Sydney Lash ‘24 first learned about Queens University of Charlotte. Now, as she prepares to graduate and pursue her doctorate in epidemiology, she cannot imagine attending anywhere else. 

“I knew I wanted to come to Queens at a scholarship weekend where I learned I had been selected for the presidential scholarship,” said Lash. “I came to tour and had a wonderful student tour guide named Chioma. All of her experiences aligned so well with mine. She had conducted amazing research and told me about all of the wonderful opportunities she was afforded during her time on campus which really sold me on Queens.” 

Lash made her decision to move to the Queen City shortly after and has loved Charlotte ever since. From a young age, she always knew she wanted to work in health care. After exploring the vast academic tracks available at Queens, she decided to study public health education and promotion and minor in chemistry and data analytics. 

“I have had so many experiences that have built up my resume since coming to Queens. From community organizing to internships, it has been unmatched,” said Lash. “Queens has a reputation of developing reliable, talented employees, so I have definitely noticed that going here has propelled me forward and has benefitted my professional networking.” 

As she gained more experience, Lash felt drawn toward the public health field and desired to educate the public on pressing health issues through her work. 

“I love taking data and drawing narratives and stories from my findings,” said Lash. “Hopefully, in the future, my findings will be used to influence how hospitals operate and care for patients.” 

Lash is part of a health care justice club that focuses on ensuring access through policy. She is also an active member of the Black Student Union. She has worked for organizations like Planned Parenthood, Gilead Sciences, and the Charlotte Rescue Mission. Lash has even had the opportunity to gain valuable work experience abroad through an internship in Ecuador made possible by the Pulliam Center for International Education. 

“Last summer, I worked as a statistical programmer in Raleigh at Gilead Sciences,” said Lash. “This internship confirmed that I wanted to work at a biotech company and serve on a research team. I learned so much there and was comforted by the diversity in the office. I worked closely with my supervisor, who shared the same identity as me, and she guided me through her experiences in the industry.”  

As she looks ahead to graduate school, Lash is eager to harness her strengths in science and data collection that she honed at Queens to start to create targeted solutions that advance health care equity everywhere. She expresses gratitude to Yvette Clifton, Ph.D., her professor and mentor, who offered countless encouragement and guidance to her amidst her studies at Queens.