Skip to Main Content

Queens Celebrates 164th Commencement

May 06, 2023 By Queens University Communications

With clear blue skies overhead, friends and family gathered to celebrate Queens University of Charlotte’s graduating class of 2023. This year, 315 undergraduates and 165 graduate students walked across the stage to receive their degrees. For many of these students, the start of their college journey was filled with uncertainty as the COVID-19 pandemic was still in its early stages. The challenges of remote learning and social distancing are now distant memories, and they are eager to embark on the next exciting chapter of their lives.

“Today, we celebrate the fruits of your labor,” said Queens University president Dan Lugo. “We were faced with a global pandemic that brought much chaos and change to our lives. But here we are nearly four years later – with relationships and experiences that we will cherish for a lifetime. And while no two experiences have been the same, each of you embodies the characteristics of a proud Queens graduate. I am confident that you are well-prepared for the next step in your life journey, and I cannot wait to see the mark each of you will make in this world.”

Lance Sotelo ’23 introduced the keynote speaker, Kieth Cockrell, to the crowd. “There are people like Kieth Cockrell that give us hope and opportunity for a successful future,” said Sotelo. “He is a leader known for his outstanding ally-ship and advocacy for a diverse and inclusive workplace.”

At the podium, President of Bank of America Charlotte Kieth Cockrell, provided words of wisdom to graduates as they begin their professional journey. “I’d like to share my thoughts about the ‘Three C’s’ – competition, control and courage. Each of you have acquired skills to enhance your ability to compete in the classroom and on athletic fields and courts, but now we must learn to win in this game of life,” said Cockrell. “The second ‘C’ is control. We control choices, effort and attitude. Be grateful, be kind, seek to understand not just be understood. The third and final ‘C’ is courage. My hope for you is that you’ll have the courage to dream big dreams, and the courage to be you.”

Jeff Brown MBA ‘03, chair of Queens’ board of trustees and chief executive officer of Ally Financial, provided guidance to this year’s graduates as well. “Leading nearly 12,000 teammates today at Ally, I attribute much of my professional success and passion to the education that I received at Queens, just like you. My advice – put your degree in motion and believe that anything is possible.”

Earlier in the ceremony, graduate student Pam Pompey ’23 delivered the invocation. She encouraged graduates to stay strong through life’s challenges. Pompey dropped out of high school when she was 17 but made a promise to her mother that she would finish her education. At 60, Pompey earned her MFA in creative writing from Queens, achieving and exceeding all expectations set forth by her mother.

“Graduates, let us not be naïve, sometimes our journey may get rerouted, and our faith tested. Let us understand that there will be challenges which may cause many of us to doubt ourselves and that of which we’ve worked so hard for,” said Pompey. Waver if you must, but in those moments of doubt and confusion let us ask our community of support for their blessings and prayers and let us be reminded that ours is not a journey we must travel alone.”

Ngoc Le ’23, student body president, delivered greetings from the student body. “I had a flashback to the very first moment when I arrived here at Queens. I was filled with both excitement and fear. As a first-gen college student, I wasn’t sure what to expect,” said Le. “Although my freshman year ended a little early because of COVID-19, the support I received from the faculty and staff during this difficult time reaffirmed that I made the right choice coming to Queens, to become a Royal, and to be a part of this community.”

Student-athlete Lance Sotelo ’23 also shared his experience at Queens. “The reason I chose Queens University of Charlotte was not just for their outstanding athletic department, or proximity to the beautiful queen city,” Sotelo said, “But because of a rainbow shirt that told me I would have equal opportunities and a chance at being a successful undergrad. That’s when I knew this was the school for me.”

President Lugo presented the Algernon Sydney Sullivan Awards next. Each year, one award is given to a member of the graduating class and one to community members and friends of the university, honoring their excellence of character and humanitarian service. The student recipient of the 2023 Algernon Sydney Sullivan Award was Dabreon Davis. Davis, an Eagle Scout, has been involved in a number of important initiatives on campus. He is a member of the Charlotte Collegiate Institute for citywide mentoring, secretary of the NAACP Queens chapter, and a member of the Queens Rotaract Service Club. He served in the Black Student Union since arriving to campus, and was elected as president this year.

Ann and Michael Tarwater were the community award recipients. The Tarwaters were honored for their commitment and dedication to improving the lives of others. They have made substantial philanthropic contributions to Queens, including significant gifts to support the Belk Chapel addition, Arts at Queens, and the Learning Society. They have also made possible the annual Ann Tarwater Lecture Series and a scholarship program through the Betsy Rosemond Scholarship in honor of Ann’s mother.

Next, Sarah Fatherly, Ph.D., provost and vice president of academic affairs of Queens University of Charlotte, presented the Hunter-Hamilton Love of Teaching Award to Melinda Harper, Ph.D., professor and chair of psychology in the College of Arts and Sciences. The most notable honor bestowed upon Queens faculty, the award is presented annually at commencement and recognizes dedication and enthusiasm for the profession.

Adrian Bird, Ph.D., university chaplain, concluded the ceremony with a benediction. “As you venture from this place, may you find a light that guides you, a purpose that drives you, a joy that uplifts you, a peace that grounds you, a spirit that sustains you and a love that surrounds and enriches you,” said Bird. “Walk from this place in dignity and strength and with bold humility, do justice and love mercy.”