Skip to Main Content

A Tale of Two Queens

Sep 05, 2023 By Queens University Communications

One student’s journey across the pond from Queen’s University Belfast to Queens University of Charlotte

Despite being at different points in their academic careers, first-year, transfer, and new graduate students typically arrive to campus with one shared reality—they are first-time Queens University students. Rebekah Dunbar ‘25 came to Charlotte for the first time just a few weeks ago, but this is not her first pursuit of a “Queens” education. Thanks to the prestigious Study USA scholarship program, Dunbar joins Queens University of Charlotte for the 2023-2024 academic year from Northern Ireland, where she studies at Queen’s University Belfast.

The Study USA program enables students to study business or STEM-related subjects at universities in the United States to enhance their educational experiences. Through a series of extensive interviews, the program matches talented students with institutions where they will thrive personally and professionally.

With a total enrollment of almost 25,000 students, Dunbar describes her experience at Queen’s University Belfast as being drastically different from her time in Charlotte. She compares the academic environments of both universities after starting her classes at Queens University of Charlotte earlier this week.

“At home, I am in lecture halls of about 300 people, but here I have classes with just 13 other students,” Dunbar explained. “Even though Queens University of Charlotte is a lot smaller, I’ve been surprised at how many international students there are. It’s been very easy to meet new friends. My neighbor in my residence hall is from Ireland as well!”

During her time at Queens University of Charlotte, Dunbar will take classes that cover topics such as gender and communication, Spanish, and public speaking. After recently attending a Charlotte Football Club game sponsored by the Charlotte Experience Team on campus, she was delighted to take part in an activity reminiscent of European culture while in her new city.

“I am looking forward to exploring Charlotte and other parts of America during my time here,” said Dunbar. “There is so much to do around the Queens campus. Even in my first few weeks here, I have gotten to join other students at sporting events, museum trips, and on-campus activities.”

As she adds a new “Queens University” experience to her resumé, Dunbar prepares for a year of exploration and growth in the Queen City.