The Learning Society
Timely dialogue, events and education
Since 1988, the Learning Society has brought leading thinkers and doers to our doorsteps. Renowned authors, journalists, physicians, scientists, artists, economists, politicians, government leaders, scholars, historians, entrepreneurs, business executives, environmentalists and social activists—these and more have shared their knowledge and life experience with Queens students and the greater Charlotte community. Thanks to our members’ commitment and generosity, the semiannual series extends far beyond the auditorium. The guest lecturer’s impact at the podium is magnified by weeks of student engagement and immersion in the speaker’s topic, viewpoint and background.
For any questions about membership, please view the 2022-2023 season brochure or email LearningSociety@queens.edu.
In Conversation about the Past, Present, and Future with David Wallace-Wells
Author of the New York Times Bestseller The Uninhabitable Earth and Jared Diamond, Pulitzer Prize Winning Author of Guns, Germs, And Steel and Upheaval
November 2, 2022 at 7 p.m.
Queens University of Charlotte
David Wallace-Wells and Jared Diamond join to provide a fascinating dialogue about the current state of the world, how we got to where we are today, and the promise our future holds. Diamond is an iconic figure of American science and history, and his work has informed the contemporary discourse for decades. Wallace-Wells is an acclaimed journalist and best-selling author with a journalist’s-sense for asking just the right questions. They are both known for their work focusing on the environmental crisis but have also offered striking contribution to the discussion surrounding global health, immigration, emerging technology, and a host of other topics.
An Evening with Deepak Chopra on the Future of Wellbeing
World-Renowned Pioneer in Integrative Medicine and Personal Transformation
March 22, 2023 at 7 p.m.
Queens University of Charlotte
Join New York Times bestselling author Deepak Chopra as he guides you on how to wake up to new levels of awareness that will ultimately cultivate a clear vision, heal suffering in your mind and body, and help recover who you really are.
- Are we in the midst of a major paradigm shift in science?
- How does our understanding of consciousness as pure potentiality enhance our capacity for intuition, creativity, conscious choice making, healing, and the awakening of dormant potentials such as non local communication and non local sensory experience?
- How does our understanding of consciousness also enhance our capacity for total well being (physical, emotional, spiritual, social, community, financial and ecological)?
- In the midst of widespread trepidation, what are the new goals that each of us might start pursuing right now?
Chopra will address these questions as well as practical ways to experience transformation and healing.
JOIN THE LEARNING SOCIETY
Please note the Learning Society has reached capacity for the 2022-23 season. Please email LearningSociety@queens.edu to be added to the list for the 2023-24 season.
Thanks to our members’ commitment and generosity, The Learning Society has thrived for three decades, broadening our worldview through face-to-face, unfiltered dialogue with diverse, compelling—and sometimes provocative—speakers.
Your annual Learning Society membership gives you access to the leading minds of our times, while funding unique learning experiences for our students. Membership is for two individuals and coincides with Queens’ academic calendar running July 1 through June 30.
The 2023-24 season brochure will be available this summer. In the meantime, email LearningSociety@queens.edu with any questions about membership.
Annual Membership for Two Individuals
- Two Lecture Events: Fall 2023 and Spring 2024
- Two tickets with seating in reserved member section
- Access to private receptions before and after lectures with opportunity for a photograph with speaker (as COVID environment allows)
- Reserved parking at the theatre
- Signed copy of speaker books
- Invitations to Member Salon in Winter 2024 and Annual Member Party in Summer 2024
President’s Circle Benefits
- Receives Member Benefits plus:
- Individual reserved seating at lectures
- Invitation to the President’s Circle intimate pre-lecture cocktail reception with brief meet and greet with speaker and opportunity to have speaker sign book
The Student Experience
The Learning Society expands the reach of our semiannual series far beyond the auditorium.
The Learning Society joined efforts with the Provost Office to use world-renowned presidential historian and Pulitzer Prize-winning author Doris Kearns Goodwin’s book, Leadership in Turbulent Times, for the university Common Read prior to her Learning Society lecture. The Common Read is a cross-campus, multidisciplinary experience that connects students, staff and faculty in a shared intellectual experience, inspiring curiosity and sparking conversation.
Through the generosity of members of The Learning Society, every undergraduate student was provided a complimentary copy of Goodwin’s book. In various classes, students were challenged to critically analyze, dialogue with one another, and share insight on Leadership in Turbulent Times, as well as provide a written reflection on their findings. The culmination of the Common Read was Doris Kearns Goodwin’s virtual visit for the student-led discussion where students had the opportunity to engage directly with Goodwin.
If you would like more information about the Learning Society membership, please email email@example.com or call 704-337-2559.