Skip to Main Content

Top Searched


Transfer Credits

Applying to Queens University of Charlotte with transfer credits? Let us help!

General Guidelines for Transfer Credit

  • Residency Requirement – At least 45 of the 120 credit hours required for a bachelor’s degree must be earned at Queens, no matter how many hours are accepted in transfer, or are earned through examinations or certifications, unless the student already holds a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. In this case, at least 30 of the 120 credit hours required for a degree must be earned at Queens.
  • Maximum Credit from a Two-Year Institution – No more than 64 of the 120 semester hours required for graduation may be transferred from two-year institutions.
  • Transfer Credit and Graduation with Honors – Only students who complete at least 60 credit hours at Queens will be eligible for graduation with honors.
  • Calculating the Cumulative Grade Point Average – A student’s cumulative grade point average (GPA) is based solely on work completed at Queens.

Equivalency Charts

Local Community College Transfers

North Carolina Comprehensive Articulation Agreement

Students who graduate from an accredited community college in North Carolina with an Associate in Arts or an Associate in Science (not an applied science) degree may transfer to Queens University of Charlotte with junior status, all foundation requirements satisfied, and 60-64 semester hours. If an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree has not been conferred, community college courses are evaluated individually.

For a complete listing of our current articulation agreements, visit our webpage.

Central Piedmont Community College

We have several articulation agreements with Central Piedmont Community College to facilitate the transfer of credit for students who earn an associate in applied science degree and wish to complete their bachelor’s degree at Queens. Contact the Admissions Office at 704-337-2314 for more information.


The RoyalUp program guarantees admission to Queens to complete a bachelor’s degree after successfully completing an Associate’s degree from Central Piedmont Community College with the required GPA.

Once fully admitted to the university as a degree-seeking student, the Office of the Registrar will evaluate the student’s official transcript(s). This evaluation will determine the credit hours awarded and their applicability to Queens’ degree requirements. Note: Grades do not transfer into Queens.

To be considered for transfer, course work must be completed at a regionally accredited post-secondary institution. Only courses with an earned grade of “C-” or better will be considered for transfer. Credit from foreign institutions requires an evaluation from WES or ECE. Courses graded Pass/Fail will not transfer, unless documentation is received from the awarding institution stating that a grade of “P” is equal to a C- or better.

Transfer credit is not awarded for the following: remedial courses, non-academic courses, highly technical courses, vocational courses, physical education courses for team sports and credit by examination.

Semester hour credit transfers the same (3 hrs. for 3 hrs.). Courses that were completed on a quarter credit system will be transferred in at a rate of .67 (quarter to semester; ex: 5 quarter credits equal 3.35 semester credits).

Transfer credit for courses taken more than ten years prior to the student’s enrollment will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Because the rate of change in some areas of knowledge is so great, relatively outdated course work may no longer provide the necessary background for advanced study. A student may have to repeat some courses at the discretion of the appropriate departments.

Students may receive up to 90 credit hours of academic credit from all institutions attended; however, no more than 64 credit hours can be transferred from two-year institutions. All exam (CLEP, AP, IB, etc.) and military credit will be counted toward the total.

Maximum Number of Transferable Credit:

Four-year Institution       90

Two-year institution        64*

Other                                38**

*Queens accepts credit under the guidelines of the North Carolina Comprehensive Articulation Agreement.

**Includes non-college credit course work approved by ACE or PONSI, AP exams, CLEP exams, International Baccalaureate exams, and military credit.

Transfer students must meet all degree requirements in their catalog of entry including the residency requirements. There are no substitutions for QMP 200, the 300-level QLC or QCP 410. All students must complete QMP 200, a 300-level QLC and QCP 410 at Queens to earn a bachelor’s degree. There are no transfer equivalencies for these courses. The university’s internship requirement is waived for any transfer student receiving 36 or more credits. Some majors, however, require internships as part of the major requirements.

Students entering Queens with first-time freshman status and having earned 36 or more college-level credits (excludes credits in the “other” category above) will follow the transfer equivalencies for the general education requirements. These students will be required, however, to complete QMP 100 and the University’s internship requirement.

Students Holding an A.A. or A.S. Degree

Students with a previously earned A.A. or A.S. degree from a North Carolina Community College will have met the distribution areas of the general education learning communities. These students will be required to complete QMP 200, a 300-level QLC and QCP 410. They may be required to complete any major prerequisites. Students holding an A.A. or A.S. degree from a non-North Carolina Community College will have their course work reviewed on a course-by-course basis.

Students Holding a B.A. or B.S. Degree

Students with a previously earned B.A. or B.S. degree, either from Queens or from another accredited institution, may obtain a second baccalaureate degree from Queens provided the major is different from that of the original degree. These students are not required to complete the general education curriculum. They may be required, however, to complete any major prerequisites. In addition, students must also meet the residency requirements.