Skip to Main Content

Top Searched


Special Circumstances for Financial Aid

We know and understand that sometimes the FAFSA doesn’t capture a student’s true financial situation and their ability to invest in their education. If you feel this applies to you, please review these options.

Special Conditions Appeal

  • Loss of employment or reduction in wages
  • Loss of benefits or untaxed income
  • Retirement
  • Divorce or separation of parent/spouse
  • Death of a parent/spouse
  • Continuing and unusually high medical and/or dental expenses not itemized on Federal Tax Returns or covered by insurance
  • One time income

If any of the above circumstances apply to you, please complete and submit our Special Conditions Appeal Form for Dependent students or the Special Conditions Appeal Form for Independent students, along with any supporting documentation. These forms can be found on our Financial Aid Forms webpage.

Dependency Override Appeal

If you have submitted the FAFSA and it has classified you as a dependent student, meaning you need to provide your parents’ information, but you believe that your circumstances do not fit the criteria for dependent status, you may be eligible to apply as an independent student for financial aid purposes. You will need to supply the following information:

  • Personal statement explaining your current living situation, how you are meeting financial needs, and any details surrounding abuse or neglect.
  • A supporting statement from an authority figure (ex. counselor, religious leader, family friend) that can support your claims.

Please send your appeal and all supporting documentation, along with your name and student ID, to Once we receive all documentation for the appeal it will be reviewed and we will reach out to you with a decision.